Monday, February 2, 2015

Flint Community Cookout: What we do. Why it matters.

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do little - do what you can.  ~Sydney Smith



If you know me even a little, I bet you’ve heard me mention the Flint Community Cookout.

The cookout has been a part of my life for three years. My first experience was in January, 2012. It was cold … really cold. And the wind was blowing so hard that I couldn’t walk at one point.

And yet, I stayed. And I kept coming back. Month after month.

I wanted to take this opportunity to tell you why. Why I stay involved, why it’s become a big part of my heart and why you should know a little more about what we are all about.



Let’s start about what the Flint Community Cookout isn’t. It isn’t a feeding program. It isn’t a task, an obligation, an event to feed the homeless or do our “good deed” for the month.

Ok, now let’s talk about what the Flint Community Cookout is and what we do.

It started in the fall of 2010 by a group of college students as a way to create a community to lift each other up and show everyone they have value. Through a few changes in leadership, the cookouts live on. And the purpose is still the same – to create a community.

A community filled with every kind of character. We hang out with people who are homeless, residents of the neighborhood, college students, young professionals, business owners and anyone else who wants to join us.



We pull a grill – a really big grill – downtown to Riverbank Park. We grill burgers – close to 300 in the summer – and hot dogs and have ourselves a picnic. It’s a potluck style gathering. Everyone pitches in, brings a side dish or dessert, helps set up and tear down.

It’s a community. A family.



It has a purpose. The focus is not the food. Yes, it’s what gets people there. But that’s not the reason we show up every last Saturday of the month, no matter what the weather.

It’s about being there. It’s about showing God’s love to everyone, showing them their story is important and that they have value.

I have learned so much during my time with the Flint Community Cookouts. I learned that everyone has a story. There is more than face value to every person. Everybody wants a chance to be heard, to be listened to, to share a meal. Because sharing a meal is much more important that serving a meal.

If you have ever come to a cookout, you will quickly learn we don’t have tasks for you to do and there aren’t many opportunities to “serve.” Because all we need you to do is coming with an open mind, a hungry stomach and the willingness to meet someone new and start up a conversation.

That’s what it’s all about. Community. Love.



I’ve learned that a hello, a smile and the willingness to pray with someone go a very long way. I’ve learned that not everything will go perfect, but it will go just the way it should. I’ve learned that stepping outside of your box will help you grow tremendously… and it will bring you a lot of new friends.

I’ve also learned that it takes a community to create a community. So let’s talk about why I’m writing this.

A ministry like this takes funds and resources. We would love to bring more activities to the cookouts. We would love to make sure we have enough food for everyone every month. We would love to see the Flint Community Cookouts grow.

If we buy everything that needs to be bought each month – burgers, hot dogs, buns, silverware, a few side dishes, condiments, charcoal, grilling supplies, gas for our van and many other things – it could cost up to $400 a month.

By God’s grace we have always gotten what we needed, but I would like to ask for your help. Are you looking for something to help fund this year? Something that will make a difference in the community?

If this is something you would like to help fund, you can easily do so at this link: https://www.crowdrise.com/flintcommunitycookout

The cookouts are funded through the non-profit GoodJustice. If you need more information, please don’t hesitate to ask.

I’ll end by saying one more thing. The Flint Community Cookouts have changed how I view the community of Flint and how I view people. If you want to check out what it’s all about, please feel free to join us the last Saturday of every month from 1 to 4 p.m. in Riverbank Park.

You won’t regret it.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, Sarah! I always wondered how this got started.

    (By the way you've got a typo in the first sentence of your last paragraph. "changed how I few the community".)

    ReplyDelete